1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Can it click out of Overdrive?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DOTSS, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DOTSS

DOTSS New Member

Have a 95 GMC Sierra. On the door jamb there is a sticker instructing the driver (me) to click the truck out of overdrive when going up hill or towing a load. But i don't see a Overdrive Override switch. How is this done?
    Thanks
    Steve
    New Haven, CT

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I believe there is no overdrive switch on that trans you have to manually shift it out of overdrive.

3. ramrunnr

ramrunnr New Member

Look at the selector on the dash. If your selector has P R N D 3 2 1 or P R N O D 2 1 where the “O” is a smaller sized capital D with a circle or "O" around it. On the first version the D is overdrive and the second the "O around the D" is the Overdrive. Just shift down the the next lower setting the 3 or the D.

I friend of mine has a similar sticker on his truck and the truck has a 3 speed transmission. In other words he does not even have an overdrive in his truck.