1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can OBD II scanner read OBD I ????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ejohnson03, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

Dumb question...

I have a 94 Silverado, does this have OBD I for scanning codes?

Found a OBD II scanner at Harbor Freight for $50.

Can it read OBD I codes?
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

You can get an adapter so that the OBDII will fit the port on a OBD1 vehicle. They run around $20 bucks last time I saw one.
  3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

good deal, I'll be checking ebay for one.

Figured for $50 I could use it for both OBD-I and OBD-II scanning.
  4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

You'd probably be better served asking the manufacturer or looking at the tool's documentation to see if it can read the older computers. My gut feel is that, for only $50, it probably can't

Also, as noted, a special scanner is not needed to read OBD-1 codes on these. A simple jumper wire and the ability to count is enough to get trouble codes.
  6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Only thing it will do on obd1 is jumper points a&b..will still have to watch light for codes.
  7. Ethan

Ethan New Member

No, if you want to read codes off of an OBD I system you need to get the GM Tech 2 with the OBD I adapter, then you can read codes, run tests, clear codes, program the PCM to some degree, and monitor all live input data. I've done it many times with my 94 chevy using a Tech 2, you can usually find them cheap on Ebay since they are outdated.
  8. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Not only thing it will do ..retrieve codes quicker ...had some jump ahead vehicles in 94..95 could read some live data.. was 16 pin scan port
    But was still obd1 complaint.