Can Someone Help Me Identify a Eaton Rear Missing The Tag???? Please Help LoL

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by Rick Marlow, May 1, 2017.

1. Rick Marlow

Rick Marlow New Member

I have a rear end come out from under a kodiak ( i was told anyway) that im having trouble finding information on.... I found the casting numbers on a few pieces but no gear ratio or anything to that nature...
    The deal on this is a guy gave me this rear end to put under my 1990 International 4654 and it a all together a different rear end and instead of butchering up my truck to fit this one I would like to get the specs on this one an sell this one complete to buy the piece i need for my rear end...

I appreciate anyone can help shine some light on this for me. Im just thankful there is places like this on the web for folks to share their knowledge with not so smart folks like me lol....

Attached Files:

2. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

iv been searching for a bit with the different numbers you have... I found this... RS404 I found that with casting number 127603. it could just be for the casing, if you google eaton drive axle identification it brings up tones of info on Id'ing them but I couldnt figure it out. it seems that the ratio could be anything and it should be stamped on the diff tag. with that missing you could spin the diff and count the axle revolutions, but im not exactly sure how to do that... im no expert at this at all, I just enjoy a good challenge.

Al
    https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?part=24563452

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Al, your closer than you're willing to give yourself credit. Place a mark on the yoke and an other one on a wheel. Turn the wheel 10 times and count the number of times the yoke turns. a little math and you know the ratio.

thegawd likes this.
  4. Rick Marlow

Rick Marlow New Member

I did find out this is a rs402 with a 3.36.
    I think its the 402, i heard the 404 is a bit larger all around???
    I think im going to attempt selling this unit to buy the stump/differential i need for the international instead of cutting stuff up to make things work....
    The original rear end was a 2 speed geared 4.56 to 6.34 and the one i have is a 3.36 and im afraid that its too much of a gearing difference and with the old weak non turbo 7.3 i just dont think it could take a gear that tall....
    Tell me what you all think