1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can someone help me identify this truck?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ippielb, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Okay, my girlfriend has an old GMC 1500 sitting at her place. It's a regular cab regular box 89-99 body style, 4x4 on the floor with an automatic transmission, I can't find out the year of this truck, i looked in the truck for numbers on the door, seatbelt, a manual. But unable to find anything to tell me. I pop the hood expecting a 350, but the truck has a little small block v6, 4.3l it looks like, i only took a quick 5 minutes to look at it in the dark tonight. But i'm looking at buying it from them to drive around as a daily driver so i don't put any more kilometers on my truck. There's a few things wrong with the truck, supposedly there is a slight ping at 80km/h and only at that speed. And it leaks oil. I'll probably check it out more in detail tomorrow to see exactly what's up with this truck. Hey, I'll pay $100 to keep my truck from getting kilometers on it.

Also, how hard would it be to swap out this v6 small block tranny and transfer case for a 1997's 350 5.7l with tranny and transfer case? Would the old transmission fit the 350? i would really like to keep the 4 on the floor, i really like having that.
    Edit:
    Looks like this truck, this body style and this grill. automatic transmission v6 4x4. I've never seen or heard of one before...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. moosetags

moosetags New Member

You should be able to determine the model year from the VIN.
  3. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member ROTM Winner

BY looking it looks like a 95 work truck to me with four wheel drive.
  4. tm4hammer1

tm4hammer1 New Member

Hmmm

Work truck hmmm what kind and year did they make those
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

The VIN will tell you all you need to know. You could Carfax the VIN and get the history also. If you know anyone who works at a dealership or used car lot they can get you a Carfax for free.
  6. bill190

bill190 New Member

The year should also be on the registration or title. If they don't have the title, I would not buy it!
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Swapping in the 97 350 is going to be a job. It's a vortec. I wouldn't tackle it unless I had the entire donor truck to work with.
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

looks like a 95+ but, the grill confuses me. since the 89-94 had a sorta flat grill.
  9. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It turned out to be a 1993, with a 305, said my girlfriends dad
  10. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts

if you look at the VIN reading from right to left the 8th digit will tell you the year. 93 should = Q. 94=R. 95=S. 96=T. Etc. But that is America. I'd take it to a dealership for a full check up