Can you guys help out a lady???

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by TahoeBabe, Aug 26, 2005.

1. TahoeBabe

TahoeBabe New Member

Hey guys!! I need your help. I know quite a bit about trucks but sometimes they get the better of me. I added a reply to "Steering Problems", but also wanted to post here for more help.
    Does anyone have a diagram of the control arms, steering compenents, ie. pitman arm, bushings, etc. for a 1998 Tahoe LS 5.7 Vortec?
    I have a feeling I'm being given the run around by dealers.

My truck at highway speeds, say 55-70mph will bounce up front on the passenger side and shudder slightly all the while. It feels as though you have an unbalanced tire, which is not the case. I have poor handling and control of this truck and a smooth ride is out of the question. There are NO modifications on this truck like my others. No lowering or lifting. Stock.
    I've had it aligned more than once, the pitman arm replace, new wheels with one that was out of round so I bought new ones, and came across top bushings >I'm assuming the control arms. If you look over the front tires into the wheel wells you can see the bushing (broken, smushed very badly). A dealer told me they only replace the "lower" bushings..uh???
    Then what the heck are the one's I'm looking at? They are right there behind the wheel.
    So, does anyone have the same rough ride and or a print of the steering mechanics of this truck?
    I sure could use some added know how.

Thaanksssssss

2. 99yukon

99yukon New Member

is this a 4 or 2 wheel drive tahoe?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What do you mean "bounce" up front?

4. ppettit2005

ppettit2005 Rockstar

Hey, I know a great source for those diagrams, go to LMC trucks website and order their catalog, it has all kinds of diagrams for parts printed directly in it and the catalog itself is either dirt cheap or free. I also had the same problem with the upper bushings, take your tahoe to a National Tire and Battery and ask them to look for missing or damaged bushings, the only problem with NTB is that their price for labor is really expensive! but they will be able to solve the problem. It sounds like your missing both of them or they're both damaged though, because my 95 tahoe two door was only missing one and I didn't have any shaking or any other problems, so be prepared to take a hit to your cash supply. good luck!

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Upper control arm bushings. Replace them. Available at most parts stores.

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Seems like once the sale is done the dealership wants little to do with you. Upper control arm bushings are kind of pricey considering it's a blob of formed rubber, but you can get them at most parts stores.

This is for 2WD tahoe
    http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...=A&SearchFor=Control Arm Bushings - Upper

4x4 Tahoe
    http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...=A&SearchFor=Control Arm Bushings - Upper

Looks like their the same parts no matter 2wd, or 4wd. when you buy them make sure you get all of them. They tend to sell these units individually, so you'd need 2 per wheel. Although if you're going to replace one side, you should do both.

7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Best way to find out for sure is just bring it in for a front end alignment.

Those guys will do a real check, get it on an alignment rack and then jack up the front end separate from the rest, the can even jack up each side individually.

Plus they have no reason to lie to you.