Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Can you re-program a USED key fob?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Bowtie Junkman, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I posted this in another area, and it got no responses ... so I'll try again over here ...

We have a 2007 Silverado 1500 (new body style) that we bought used and did not get a key fob with when we bought it.
    I see the forum posts for re-programming a key fob .... can I get a used key fob and re-program it the same way?
    Or does that procedure only apply to a "new" fob from one of the online sources ....
    I see some of them offer used fobs, so just wondering if I can get one from one of my wrecker buddies and make it work ...
    Thanks in advance ....
    The Junkman

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Nope you can use it for a used key fob as well

3. Sorry, murdog ...

Was that "nope" ... you cannot re-program a used fob the same as a new one?

or ...

"you can use it for a used key fob as well" meaning the re-programming process CAN be used on a used fob?

Sorry, I didn't understand the way you wrote it ... but look forward to the info ...

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A key fob is a key fob, whether it's used or new. In actuality, the fob has no idea about the vehicle on the other side. It simply transmits its id plus the code according to what button you pushed. The reciever in the vehicle listens for that specific id and code and performs the function desired.

Expanding this logic, if you had 2 GM vehicles that used the same model keyfob, you could program both vehicles to use that keyfob. The caveat to that is if both vehicles are near each other and you hit the button, the function would occur to both vehicles.