Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

can you swap 1500 springs for 2500 or 3500 springs?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by silvertruck, Apr 19, 2009.

1. silvertruck

silvertruck New Member

whats up, new to the site. i have a 2000 silverado 1500 and i want to beef the rear suspension up, would anyone know if you can put the leaf springs from a 2500 or 3500 into the suspenison?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. GOTSAND4ME2

GOTSAND4ME2 Rockstar

Hi there, I have the same truck as you and was wondering the same thing. I do a lot of towing with my truck and the rear is starting to sag. Let me know what you find out!!

3. Rome

Rome New Member

have you found anything on this swap?

4. drphillgood

drphillgood New Member

5. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

just make sure the length is the same. it may cause your truck to site a little higher in the rear if the spring pack has more springs. I am not sure for newer truck but on older trucks when you purchase a new lift the springs are the same with the changes coming in the size of the ubolts do the the thickness of the axle tubes. Make sure to measure the from eye to eye!

6. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would just get a spring helper kit (add a spring)..
    And its not just your springs, your axles wont take the extra load like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton..
    I hauled many loads of firewood back in Michigan,Axles do break.. My .02 ....

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

good point, sorry i did not mention

8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, you can, my cousin has a 2001 with 3/4 ton leaf springs in it. To be sure, measure how wide your leafs are, and how wide 3/4 tons are, they should be the same, the only difference is the thickness of the metal used for the leafs, and how many leafs are used.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. Rome

Rome New Member

did your cousin use the same exact truck, like RCSB, RCLB, ECSB, ECLb etc.. same year, 4x4/2x4. also what did this do to the ride height and ride quality of the truck? what about the front did he change the torsion bars, coils, CA's etc

10. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Measure the width on yours & a 2500, the length from mounting points (make sure you measure the same, if yours is sitting with nothing it make sure the other is to!), you can get a longer shackle if you want it to sit lower in the rear or get a leveling kit for the front.
    I did it on a Ford F150 & had no problems, just measured twice before I started.