1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Canister Purge Solenoid Location

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dvendetta, Aug 20, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dvendetta

dvendetta New Member

Have a 06 silverado crewcab 4x w/ 5.3L. Check engine light is on. Had NAPA check for code and they stated it was the canister purge solenoid. Can anyone tell me the location of this thing? NAPA "thought" it was in front of gas tank.............. others have said engine compartment.
  2. paracutin

paracutin New Member 100 Posts

It is in the gas tank / spare tire area. On my 04 2500HD it is to the right of the gas tank. On my kids 02 S10 it is just in front of the spare.
  3. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

Are you planning on replacing it yourself? If you are, just go ahead and buy the replacement purge valve so you have a sample for comparison and start looking.
  4. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

Pretty sure it is the vent solenoid that is on the back of the gas tank. The purge solenoid is in the engine compartment. I believe it is under the engine cover. Did it have a code for the purge solenoid or was it an EVAP leak code?
  5. dvendetta

dvendetta New Member

found one under engine cover.... replaced with what napa said it was (dont have error code #) but didnt clear light. going back to have them run it again and get error code.
  6. dvendetta

dvendetta New Member

Well I found it............ 06 silverado is located on drivers side near gas tank. On top of frame rail near rear cab mount. Tight squeeze to say the least but its in, air intake moved to higher and dryer place. Codes were cleared and no more check engine light..... HOPEFULLY it will stay off! Thanks for the help.
  7. paracutin

paracutin New Member 100 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the update!