1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can't make any Adjustments on my trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by dillmation, May 19, 2013.

1. dillmation

dillmation New Member

I have a 99 gmc sierra, new style, and recently replaced the 6-pin trailer connector to the 7-blade connector, my mechanic hooked this all up and now i dont have any adjustment for the brakes, the brakes are just on full power, they lock up, when the brakes are applied and will not turn down the adjustment to lessen the tension on the brakes, we hooked up another controller and the same thing happened, i hooked my camper up to another truck and the brakes on the camper work fine, so it must be something in the wiring or fuse.....any thoughts? thanks all!!
  2. steved

steved Former Member

He's may have crossed the "brake lights" for the brake actuator? In other words, he hooked up the brake lights to the brake actuator and vice-versa.

On Edit: I must have been half asleep. What I meant was at the connector, the brake light circuit is directly triggering the brakes on the trailer (the reason they go full on when you step on the brake pedal). I'll bet the wiring in the connector has been flipped (brake lights with brake controller and brake controller with brake lights).
    Last edited: May 20, 2013