Can't recharge my dead battery

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by areotreker, Nov 2, 2008.

Newest Photos

  1. areotreker

    areotreker New Member

    I own a 1999 2500 Suburban that I use to tow my 31' vintage Airstream. I had a dead battery still hooked up to system. I tried to recharge it. When I first hooked up the charger the amp meter on the charger starts to jump from 0 to max continuously. 0 - max, 0 - max, 0 - max. This confuses me I am just not sure why it is doing this. Voltage reguralor is my guess. But I am not sure. I have only owned it for 13 months and driven it for 4k without any big problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really love this SUV, rides and pulls my AS like a dream. Now that gas has dropped in price I would love to take trip.

    Regards, AT
  2. mehoff400

    mehoff400 New Member 100 Posts

    sounds like your battery is dead if you got a warranty on it you might try exchanging it
  3. areotreker

    areotreker New Member


    Really not the response I was looking for. The battery being dead is not the problem. I could recharge it if it is not hooked up to the SUV. But why is the amp meter on the charger bouncing around like that? HElP!
  4. EagleTalons

    EagleTalons New Member 100 Posts

    I've had that happen when my battery was froze solid! Also the battery may low on water or it may just be permanently dead!
  5. areotreker

    areotreker New Member


    Well I have been living in FL for the last 12 months I don't think that freezing would apply. But it just might have a dead cell. I just noticed that one cell was way low. I not sure if it is dead yet I can't test it because I can't find my battery tester. I may have to wait till tomorrow to buy a new one. I might just need a new battery and this one is not under warranty. I added water to it and it is now taking a charge properly. But time will tell if it will hold a charge.
  6. Springthing

    Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

    Take the battery to a general auto supply store - Pep Boys, Autozone, O'Reilly. They'll put a charge on it and will tell you if it's a battery problem or not.

    I don't think it should matter that the battery is still connected to the vehicle.

    What about if you disconnect the battery from the system? Does the reading change on the charger or does it still bounce? If it still bounces then have it tested.

    Perhaps your charger is faulty/dying/dead?

    Good luck!
  7. areotreker

    areotreker New Member


    The charger has stopped bouncing. But it is taking a charge at too has a rate I think, above 10amps. The cell that was low is not bubbling like the other ones. I think that it is dead.

    The battery is a PEP BOYS 24 month 84 month battery. I don't have the sales receipt. It was purchased by the previous owner just before I brought the SUV. Does anyone know if PEP BOYS will make good on a defective battery without a receipt.

    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. Springthing

    Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

    I believe if the battery is marked, they should. I'm not sure where I bought my last battery, but they had the for-thought to actually stick the receipt/warranty in a plastic pouch that was on the side of the battery itself. Great place to have it - you'll never be without it when you have the actual battery!

    Again, good luck!
  9. areotreker

    areotreker New Member

    Thanks, Steven

    I will try to make it up PEPS BOYS tomorrow. Luckily I have a duel battery system, the second one is a Gold Diehard. I installed it before I towed my Airstream down to FL. It is taking a charge in a normal manner now.

    I haven't driven this SUV for 2 months. But now that gas is down to $2.41.9 I would like to drive it some now. Of course it doesn't do well on regular gas. It likes the higher price stuff.
  10. areotreker

    areotreker New Member

    Battery update.

    So today I drove up to PEP BOYS. By the time I got there which was a 15 mile ride I pop the hood and the battery in question was steaming. I took off the cell covers to see each cell boiling. With the water down below the top of the plates, the whole thing was so hot I could hardly touch it. I think if I had driven another 5 miles it would have caught fire.

    I go in and talk to the service writer still just a little nervous about not having a sales receipt. And now it looks like I have fried the thing. After a half hour they finally look at it to test it. The thing is still so hot almost not touchable. He then determines that it has a dead cell and there must be something so wrong or defective with it to cause this over heating that it may have a short inside. And so he will replace it. I will only pay the instillation charge of $13.50 plus I need a new side mount bolt for $4.00. Well at least they made good on it.

    But I know that I was right not to get any service work done there. Because some of the guys that they have working there wouldn't know how to put air in a tire. The service writer was good though to be fair.

    Thanks to all that responded. IT was a dead battery after all.:sign0173:

Share This Page