1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can't Roll Start?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by clinton_hedrick, Mar 5, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

If you dis-engage the clutch, the engine won't spin.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That is a probability, I do not have a wiring diagram to check.
  3. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

That's what I thought. You should only have to disengage the clutch to turn the starter. But I've roll started completely dead vehicles, but it doesn't matter, I have tried to roll start the truck even with a god battery
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

you need more than 9 volts to get the vehicle to start on a pop the clutch roll start. these vehicles need lots of amps when / to run like my 2000 requires about 50 amps with all lights ac off.

as far as farm equipment goes that's not my area for sure. if the small engine has magneto then you need no battery power.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

j cat, a rolling start won't work with a charged battery either so the depressed clutch does more than disable the start relay. It is connected to the security system and disables the entire ignition.
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

your correct on the clutch being depressed as that must be all the way down to permit start . just as automatic must be in neutral/park to allow a start condition. you would have to jump out the clutch switch . if your fast enough with the clutch I bet it is possible.
  7. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

I tried pumping the clutch in & out, and I got going a little faster and took my engine up to almost 3k rpm, but no good. The security light flashes. I guess it isn't a big deal now, the truck starts fine for me every time (given I dont leave a light on)