Captains chairs in rear of C/K 1997 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackbenz300e, Jan 10, 2011.

1. blackbenz300e

blackbenz300e Member

Hey everyone, I have a 97 Suburban and was wanting captains chairs in the back. ive seen some do it by using seats made for the front and putting them back there but i dont want to lose the ability to fold them flat like the bench does. Does anyone know of any type of captains chairs that will do this or am i **** out of luck. thanks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you want them to fold flat you are pretty much sol.. however the front seats do fold semy flat.. but otherwise you are stuck with a rear bench seat.

3. blackbenz300e

blackbenz300e Member

Thanks, that's kind of what i thought but just wasnt sure if anyone knew of anything. how do the newer Suburbans and Tahoes do it because i know a good chunk of them come with captains chairs in the rear. Do they not fold flat either or are they designed differently?

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Designed differently. and from what i have seen the captains chairs dont fold flat.

5. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I'm definitely planning to change out my second row bench for a pair of captains chairs in the future. Are the front and second row mounts the same, or are people making custom mounts to accomplish this?

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Front and second row feet are in different places.
    Look around the local recycling yards and Craigslist for a set of center row seats.
    The center seats are built a little different from the front seats, theres a couple companies that make them swivel and some that fold flat.
    Just noticed your in Dallas, check the Thrifty Nickel advertiser theres a vender in the back thats located in Arlington that sells new, and used take out seats for trucks, dont remember the name anymore.
    I bought a complete 2004 interior that I modified to fit in my 97 Suburban from them a few years back he had the best price in the area at that time.

7. janikphoto

Thanks! Good tip.

8. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

The 2nd row captain seats in my 07 fold and tumble. Not sure it would be worth the work to put them in a different model though. If you want, I can take a pic of how it folds and the hardware attached to my floor. Just let me know.

9. janikphoto

I'm not too worried about modding newer seats to fit the '99, but it might be worth it to add pics for any other forum members that will be contemplating the idea. Heck, the fold flat feature might just make it worth checking into. I like the way the 60/40 folds flat. Yeah, post pics, if you don't mind...

10. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

Okey dokey here's what I got:

There's a lever on the side of the seat. When sitting in it, you use this to adjust the backrest tilt.

seat 1.jpg
    Lift the lever once and the backrest flips down. Same with the 3rd row, so I'm thinkin I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in here without the hassle of removing all the seats. Anyways...

seat 2.jpg
    Lift the lever again and the whole thing tumbles forward. Again same with the 3rd row. The 3rd row removes easily, not sure about the captain seats. They have these big box things under the front.
    seat 3.jpg

Here's what's underneath...
    seat 4.jpg