GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Captiva Changing Gears ~ 15K Miles, and already an issue! (2012 Chevy Captiva V6 FWD)

Discussion in 'Chevy Captiva Sport Forum (Saturn Vue)' started by Camaro69car, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Well, I was in stop and go traffic the other day (temps were normal) but speed was right around where 1st changes into second and vice versa. I noticed that when the transmission upshifted from 1st to 2nd, it would clunk and jerk the whole vehicle. ell after a while of stop and go, i just figured it was just a quirk I need to get used to. After about 20-30 mins of this traffic, I would lightly press the gas to move up and when the transmission shifted from 1st to 2nd, it revved up, almost like it was in neutral, then chirped the tires when it caught second gear. (dealer could not replicate, and says its fine)

Any thoughts?

2012 Chevy Captiva V6 FWD
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Did you check fluid level?
  3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I guess I made the 1st mistake of being a mechanic. Never trust that the dealership has checked all that. I'll be sure to do that on my off day.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

As a brand new car that's under warranty the dealer should listen to you and try to find and fix the problem.
  5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I'm about to just say **** it and try to break it. Hard to ignore a trans missing an entire gear.
  6. stchman

stchman New Member

Since you have a 2012 Captiva, I assume you are still under 36K miles? If yes, then take it to the Chevrolet dealer and they'll diagnose and fix the problem.
  7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

8. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

My thought: the problem is that the dealer could not replicate the problem. You as the one who drives it all the time, are in a better position to know when it acts up and when it doesn't. In many ways, I would agree with the "take him on a ride" approach. Maybe start with, "I recognize this problem is intermittent, how did you test it last time? ___ Those aren't the kind of conditions/situations where I experience the problem. It only seems to act up when _____. Would it be helpful if me and your technician went out together so I can show him the symptoms and the driving situation(s) that trigger the symptoms."
  9. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member

Camaro69car,

I understand your frustration with the dealership not being able to duplicate an issue you are experiencing with your vehicle. I am happy to locate another dealership in your area for a second opinion. If interested, I could even set up the appointment for you. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  10. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I appreciate the offer Jennifer, However I already have an appointment for this weekend at a different dealership. I would like to message you regarding some warranty questions.
  11. j cat

j cat Active Member

your problem seems to me to be harsh up shifting due to higher than normal transmission pressures. this is when the PCM/computer sees transmission slippage so it the commands max pressures.

this will throw no codes ....also on shutdown this all resets so if they then go for a short ride it may not do it right away..
  12. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I can feel it trying to find a gear, it's almost like a gear thats missing about 1/4-1/2 of its teeth missing. engine drives as normal like its in gear, then all of a sudden BANG its moving again. Also the lag between the time you press the gas pedal until the time it finds a gear is ridiculous! right around 3-4 seconds.

I'm hoping that this other dealership can at least let me drive and show the mechanic whats going on.

I also hope that this isn't the same transmission they used in the Equinox. If so, I'm looking at a new transmission at around 60-70K. (my sister in law had one)
  13. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member

Hello,

I did see your message regarding warranties but I would like to assist you with this vehicle issue that you are experiencing. Again, private message if you are interested in my assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  14. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

So, Dealership says there is an issue, however at the moment I am unable to be without my vehicle. it may be a solenoid issue or possibly mechanical. Due to my age, they are unable to provide me with a loaner, therefore I will have to wait until I get my girlfriends cavalier running again.
  15. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Well. isn't that interesting. Your old enough to buy it, but not old enough for GM to provide all of the contents of the warranty they agreed to honor.

Of course you know, the longer you drive it with a known problem, the less interest GM will have in fixing it for free. They can/may claim you were aware of the problem and would not allow GM to repair, therefore GM no longer will cover the fix.
  16. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

The problem isn't with them loaning me a car, its with the insurance they have to cover me under. They want me to be 25 to loan me the vehicle.
  17. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I knew it was an insurance problem; but that should not be a problem for you, it's the dealer's problem.

You purchased a car, with warranty, in good faith. The warranty states that you will be supplied with a rental, or a loaner, car while yours is being repaired. The dealer is not living up to the customer's expectations.

And................I still say, that is you continue to drive your vehicle after the dealership has advised that it requires repair, and the repairs get worse, GM may not cover it.

GO AFTER THEN FOR A LOANER. Tell them to fix the insurance problem, or you will talk to a lawyer. You paid for a service and you are not receiving it.
  18. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Do you know any lawyers that work for free / cheap?
  19. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Haha, ok, so that's the path I would take; but, I've reached the point where no one takes advantage of me without repercussions.

In your case, take the policy way first (and, it's cheap, free). Call the 800 number in the owner's manual. GM customer service must have a policy covering the insurance issue.
  20. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

thank you, appointment tomorrow at the local dealership. hopefully I can get a new impala loaner.