1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Car Seat Anchors

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by freddie, Feb 25, 2009.

1. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

My wife and I are about to have our first child. So today I was looking to see if I had the car seat anchors. I cant find them and I have looked in my owners manual and it wasnt much help. Does any one know where they should be? Or where I could intall some if I bought them? Oh and my truck is a 99 silverado 2000 body style extended cab.

2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't believe they started the LATCH system until 2002 at least that's what my car seat instructions said other wise on my 03 Silverado the anchors are in between the back of seat and the bottom of seat in the crack should be close to the seatbelt latches

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html This might help answer questions you have regarding LATCH.

I'm not aware of aftermarket LATCH anchors, but they might be available. One thing I would point out: According to the faq above, LATCH isn't necessarily safer than using seat belts to install car seats, it's just supposed to be a little easier/more convenient to use. I've always just used seat belts to install my car seats. It takes some doing, sometimes, but after you've done it a few times, you can get a car seat installed just fine using the seat belts. One trick I've used, especially on GM vehicles (because the "fixed" side of the seat belt always seems so long on GM vehicles) is to fold up a cardboard box a couple of times and put that underneath the car seat. This prevents the car seat from sinking so deep into the seat cushion so that the seat belt can be tightened adequately.

It's good that you are looking into this before delivery day. Even with the LATCH system, it will take some practice until you feel comfortable installing a car seat so it fits right. There isn't much that's more important than the safety of our kids, so I commend you for trying to resolve this issue ahead of time.

4. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks alot guys!