1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car seat question

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by triple_lindy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. triple_lindy

triple_lindy New Member

All,
    I am new here and have a question. I am looking to get an infant car seat into an 04 Colorado. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with car seats and this truck. The owners manual doesn't explain very well about this topic. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
  2. Flatman

Flatman New Member

Reg, extra or crew cab?
  3. triple_lindy

triple_lindy New Member

extended cab
  4. Flatman

Flatman New Member

Were you wanting to put the infant seat in the front or in the back on the jump seats? The good thing is that if you put it in the front, the passenger side has a weight sensor that will automatically turn off the passenger side air bag if an adult is not sitting in the seat. It might actually be safer to put it in the front...?
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm not up on how the new seat sensors work. The car seat has to be rear-facing for the first year, that's a given. It would probably have to be front seat in an extended cab. Crew cab is a different issue.
  6. Flatman

Flatman New Member

Steve,

It's a weight sensor on the bottom pad of the seat. For instance, if my 7 year old son sits in the passenger seat, the airbag shuts itself off. If I sit in it, it leaves it on....
  7. triple_lindy

triple_lindy New Member

Guys,
    The owners manual for the '04 extended cab mentions a seat sensor, only for how much to inflate the air bag in a crash though. It didn't mention anything about turning the airbag off for the amount of weight in the front seat.

I was looking to get the rear facing infant seat in the rear seats. Doesn't sound like this is possible though.
  8. Flatman

Flatman New Member

My bad...mine is an '07. I wouldn't put a rear facing seat in the back of an x-cab if it were me...:no:
  9. triple_lindy

triple_lindy New Member

Yeah, I figured that I wouldn't be able to put a seat in the back. Thanks guys for talkin with me.
  10. stlburb

stlburb New Member

Call the firehouse

3-L

call your local firehouse and ask them if they install car seats. Many times they have been trained on how to install car seats correctly, as well they have identifacation stickers they attached to the car seat, in case of an emergency and they need to identify the child.

I have used our local station several times in here STL and should be free. When it comes to my kids, I make sure it is done right and that I know how to install if needed.

SP