1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car Stereo

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by mcrich, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mcrich

mcrich Member

Hello all I need a little help I have a extra car stereo in my shed. And I want to hook it up as a Boom box But I dont know anything about the wiring to a battery and what size battery should I use. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
  2. RUDENESS

RUDENESS New Member

leave that up to someone who knows about but do watch to learn something...:neutral:
  3. dutzowmo

dutzowmo Rockstar 100 Posts

We have a car audio sub for our home theater system at school. We use a home audio amp designed for car audio products. The amp looks like a car amp but has a plug in for an outlet instead of the power and ground cable. We got ours off ebay and it works great. You just plug the amp in and connect the rca's and remote wires and your good.
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So... you are wanting to put the radio on a speaker box and have it hooked up to a battery? I would think anything less than a car battery wouldn't push out enough juice to keep a stereo (and especially amp and good speakers) going for very long - and a car battery wouldn't be very convenient. How about using a power inverter to be able to plug the unit into a wall socket and have 12v to plug into the radio?

This might warrant a trip to your local radio shack to talk to the techie guy there. He may be able to answer questions and give you ideas on what to do.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A friend of mine actually did this and it worked fine. he got an old car stereo and made a wood box to mount two speakers and the stereo, than rigged it to a car battery somehow