1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Carbon Black Metallic GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by carbon black, Apr 14, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. carbon black

carbon black Member

My soon to be delivered GMC Sierra is carbon black metallic in colour. I'm getting a paint treatment that supposedly fills in all the valleys that occur in the factory paint and thus eliminate dirt getting trapped in these valleys. This treatment is said to eliminate the need for waxing for 5 years. Now, has anyone had this done to their vehicle and if yes what's you opinion - Was it worth it.
    Another question, what is the best way to clean this colour without swirl marks

2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

wow no waxing for 5 years, where do I sign up? I've never heard of this process so I'd be interested in seeing the results. Is that part of a protection package you can buy from the dealer that warranties the interior and exterior for a certain number of years?

For controlling possible swirl marks that could occur when cleaning always keep your wash brush clean as well as the absorber cloths you are using to dry off the vehicle. I always spray off the wash brush throughout the washing process to rid of any particles that could cause scratches. For drying, some people recommend using a leaf blower or similar tool to blow the water off the vehicle. Doing that would probably help since you wouldn't be putting an absorber cloth against the paint. When you have to though, again I clean the cloth before/after and shake it out during. All my detailing cloths are microfiber too.

3. carbon black

carbon black Member

AMac - Yes, this process is called "Platinum Shield Paint Protection" and is sold as a package or individually by the dealership and includes Undercoat protection, Rust protection, Fabric protection and Leather/Vinyl protection.
    This paint protection is supposed to completely seal the paint and create a smooth durable finish. It is also intended to protect and enhance the truck's clear coat with no requirement for waxing or reapplication.
    How does your truck sound with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler ???
    The truck is a factory order so I should be getting it in a week or two and when I do I'll put up some pictures

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I like the 40 series very much, it's somewhat quiet when driving slow through quiet neighborhoods and if I have the radio on it's not disruptive to the point where it's annoying.

As far as paint protection packages I had purchased a package like that and I remember they did something to the exterior but I don't think it is the same thing. I still have all of the detailing products that came with the package though and really like the tire shine stuff. Overspray cleans nicely off the rims and it's got a nice finish. Did/will you get a package of detailing products as well? That carbon black is going to look so sweet when it's all shined up and I can't wait to see some pics!