1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Carbon Build-Up In Engine Compartment

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by TRPLXL2, Feb 26, 2009.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a 2001 S-10 with the 4.3 liter V-6 SFI, and it has just over 54,000 miles on it. Last year I had it die on me on the freeway, it was towed to the Chevy dealer and they replaced the Fuel Pump, and I had them also replace the fuel filter and the regulator since they had it tore apart. When they were looking it over they said that the engine had an excessive amount of carbon build-up on the engine, which could cause problems down the road. They wanted $600 to clean the engine compartment, and I turned them down flat thinking that it was just a scam to turn my bill from $1,300 into $2,000! My question is can carbon build-up lead to engine problems, such as the throttle body or other areas causing bad idle or stalling out.

From day one the truck always idled really low around 450-475 rpm's according to my scanner, I adjusted it up to 750 and it has run fine for the last 7 years. I let the truck run today for 20 minutes to let it get warmed up, when I got in and revved it up to 2,000 rpm's and let off the throttle it stuttered and spat like it wanted to stall but didn't. I waited until it evened out and put it in reverse, as soon as I let off the brake the truck stalled out completely! If anyone's had this problem on anything they have owned (Tahoe, Silverado, Colorado, Cadillac) I would love to hear how you fixed it, and are there any ways that I could clean the throttle body to see if that helps. I have $0 because I have been layed off for the past 4 months, so this has to be a backyard fix for now.

BTW: there are no check engine lights on, BUT the ABS light is on. That came on after I had the truck towed home, so that is yet another issue that has to be dealt with too! (I ordered an ABS scan tool from Auto X-Ray a few months ago, and I'm still waiting on that.)

Any cleaners that you guys might have used that would get rid of the carbon please tell me, thanks in advance for your help..............AMY:grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good ole Seafoam is great for getting rid of carbon!

When I got my truck it would ping some going up hill Seafoamed it and wow the difference was night and day.
  3. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

havent had the problem, but it sounds like seafoam is in your future. deep creep the intake, half a can in the brake boster line, half a can or a full can in the gas tank
  4. TRPLXL2

Okay I did find an older thread about sea foam on this site, and I'll be honest that kind of scares me. I just put a brand new fuel filter and pump on the truck, I have never used any kind of cleaners on it so I just don't want it to immediatley block up the filter and pump. Is it absolutely necessary to put it in the brake system? On the other hand it might get rid of the ABS light (I couldn't be that lucky), well I guess I could try it and see what happens and if it screws up my injectors of fuel stuff I will really have some fun then. I do believe you guys and your opinions matter a lot, so I will check it out and see what happens.
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Its not really going into the brake system its going in large vacuum line that leads into the intake and the rest is going in the tank and mixes with the gas and helps to clean out the injectors.
    Do a google search for seafoam and you will see many many people have been using it for years with good luck with many different kinds of vehicles.
  6. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

I was leary of it also (sea foam). I used some in my 02 silverado and it really did make a difference I shortly after that installed new plugs and wires....I still had factory plugs and wires on my truck with 122,000 miles. I can barely tap the gas and spin the tires over. It would do it before but the throttle response now is greatly improved. :great:
  7. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

was the source of the carbon build up discovered?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When you say carbon build up on the engine, are you talking about the outside of the engine, as in "it's dirty"? If so, take it to the car wash, use the engine degreaser/tire cleaner mode, then rinse it off. Be careful not to spray it in the intake. I wash my engines every few months. It keeps them running cooler (better heat disapaiton when clean) and I also don't get near as dirty if I have to work on them.

Here's a picture of my Trans Am's engine bay. You won't find any grease/carbon on this thing.:glasses:

[​IMG]
  9. TRPLXL2

Yes the outside of the engine compartment is covered in a black carbon snow, but when I was at the dealership they took off the throttle body and showed me. It did have a coating of carbon inside of it but it didn't seem that bad, so I told them to put it back together. They said that they have a "hot flush" that they run through in a pressurized manner, that will take care of all of the internal carbon buildup. I have had 2 other trucks and a car, and have never seen the motor get like that. I will take a picture of the engine compartment as soon as the weather gets better, it is hailing right now with 40 mph winds!
  10. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

OOPS...You should still sea foam you engine....lol