1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Carbon Fiber Hood?!?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by AL3X, Aug 2, 2010.

1. AL3X

AL3X New Member

do you guys think it would be worth getting a carbon fiber hood for my 2003 silverado?
    i heard the original hood weighs about 60lbs is that true? and if not how much does it weight?
    ive been looking online and i found an OEM CF hood for about 520 and if you guys have a picture of one with the hood on post it up because ive looked around google and couldnt find one haha
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is it made by VIS?
  3. grrr...

grrr... New Member 100 Posts

Getting a CF Hood is definetly a great idea, if you like the look of it and are trying to reduce weight. Here's some stuff to remember, you must take good care cleaning the hood, so it doesn't get hazy. Also, you must take great care when shutting the hood or moving it as to not break or crack it. You can no longer slam the hood once you go CF. Overall tho, I loved having a CF Hood on my car.
  4. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member 100 Posts

Do it! Install it and post pics, I'm in the process of looking for a new hood for my 03 (has a rust spot that was fixed, but it's already coming back), and I was wondering what the CF hood would look like.
  5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

I've seen people with Photo Shop experience place aftermarket parts on a vehicle to see what it looks like before they buy. Can always try that route if you have skills with PS because it seems impossible to find a picture with the carbon fiber hood on the truck.
  6. AL3X

AL3X New Member

well i guess im going to have to take one for the team the moment i get it on il post some pictures of it
    just wondering how much does the OEM hood weigh? anyone know?
  7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

I believe you were correct in your first post about the 60lbs.
  8. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member 100 Posts

Carbon Fiber hoods are for wanna be racers, trucks are tough, not street racers, just my 2 cents. Dont mean to offend anyone.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My old Av had a Steel Ram Air hood from Goodmark The new one has a Fiberglass Ram Air hood. For fit and finish you can't beat the Steel..