Carburetor Decision

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by WyomingBurb, Jul 2, 2012.

1. WyomingBurb

WyomingBurb New Member

1985 K10 4x4 1/2 ton suburban, 350 700r4 4:10 gears

I bought this truck awhile back and am trying to slowly get it fixed it up as it is my daily driver... currently there is an edelbrock 1401 carb on it and i absolutely hate it.

I did some digging and found out that in 1985, the stock carb was a quadrajet 4 barrel, which i like... the problem is that there is more than one model of quadrajet. Honestly, i am looking to go stock and enjoy the reliability of a quadrajet (had one in my first car, loved it)

which model do i need... I know there are two different models for electric choke/hot air choke. But there are also two different models than span from 1980-1989 and there is also a model for 1975-85... i have the electric choke

I called napa and where i am at the stock carb they pull up is 917 bucks... sorry but i would rather put up with the edlebrock.

Main reason i am wanting to switch back is so i can throw away the shift linkage for the 700R4... i just want it stock so i dont have to buy any brackets and can use the one that is already on there.

also from Oreillys in town, there are 4 possible carbs that could go on it that were stock at the time... 3 of them are rochesters and one is a holley... UGH!!!

I am looking on quadrajetcarbs.com and the part number is Item # 41-5904E, can someone verify that or send me to a better site to buy a new quadrajet?

Thanks in advance!
  2. T-bone

T-bone New Member

I would find out all the models and years that the quadrajet was used and head to the bone yard and pick up one. have it rebuilt and see how it goes. 1K for a new one is a lot of cash. personally if the edelbrock is working (why do you hate it??) I would not fix what is not broke.
  3. WyomingBurb

WyomingBurb New Member

I have no linkage for fast idle.. choke appears to be inoperable. Gummed up pretty bad and huge lack of any power. I have all the brackets for the throttle and TV cable but even the trans doesn't shift right. It shifts okay, a bit high but I just want to go back to stock
  4. T-bone

T-bone New Member

I found this which may help
    http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/index.php

you have the 5.7L engine I am guessing(1500)?

http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.co...OTORHOME-8Cylinder-4-Barrel-Carburetor/1.html

This board might have some more insight as well
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=438117
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have an edelbrock carb on my 79 GMC yard plow, a lot simpler than the old Quadrajet carbs to work on and rebuild. Hell I even rebuilt it once on the truck; I don’t recommend that to anyone who is not real good with their hands.
    But to each his own, I might have an old Quadrajet up in the shop if that is what you really want, but it will need to be rebuilt.

Steve
  6. WyomingBurb

WyomingBurb New Member

Okay... i just pulled a junk quadrajet off of a older 79 truck... planning on using it as a core.

I do not have the CCC on my 85 suburban... so i am looking for a bare-bones carb. There is the M4ME, M4MED and the M4MEF... I know from looking at the website guaranteedcarbs that the M4MEF is the one used on the 454, so i was gonna rule that out.

M4MED comes with electric choke right???? Ugh... hate seeing all the info but not understanding what the letters mean!!!