1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cargo area light?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by greg the leg, Dec 6, 2009.

1. greg the leg

greg the leg New Member

Hi I have a new 2009 Silverado LTZ extended cab with a Access cover and a Line-X spray- in liner.
    Here is my question to everyone... When I open the tailgate, it's fricken black inside my box and I need light inside, under the rails to see where my stuff is!!!
    I've looked all over trying to see if anyone else has come up with any neat idea's, but no one has asked about this, or does one carry a flashlight?

I've seen a neat 12 volt,for sale on ebay, has anyone got this and hooked it up?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RECO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    The other thing I could do is run some battery powered , stick on lights, cheap, but I want to be able to see all the way into the back...
    Thanks ,Greg the Leg
  2. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been in the same situation, and with a tonneau cover its impossible to see anything, I've never seen these on a truck but they look awesome and would really like to know what you end up doing.
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: I have a friend who put rope lights under his bed rails. He ran a wire to his cargo light, so he could turn them on with the switch. It worked great for him. I have also seen a clear tube with lights in them. I guess you would have a choice on which one would work better for you. Hope this helps. Good Luck
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

You could try using a white LED accent tube, like streetglow, or something similar from your local auto zone... Then wire it up to your cargo light, and even a pin switch on your tailgate or toneau cover so they come on whey you open it...
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My best friend has the Putco PURE cargo light kit, which covers both bed rails and comes with all of the switches and hardware. He mounted his switch in the bed, and it does light up very nicely but it's more of a blue light than anything. It was $70 at Summit Racing, there is about a foot of wire in between each light to let you space them how you want.
  6. greg the leg

greg the leg New Member

cargo lighting

Here's another thing I found searching the web;
    http://www.creativelightings.com/Mo...-6-LED-Pods-RF-Remote-p/cl-6pod-rf-ledkit.htm
    Its to bad I live in Minnesota and its colder than hell,(or should I say a deep freezer), and I don't feel like trying these idea's till its warmer out.
    Thanks for the idea's guys!!!!
    You'd think Chevy would have a factory accessory just for this problem??? Put, hey-thats what the vendors are for right?
    Back to work cutting hair, Greg-the-leg
  7. woodstock

woodstock New Member

light

You gotta check local yards.....
  8. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

I was on a site the other day browsing around at lights and I saw some LED's that fit under your bed rail and came with all of the hardware.. If I can find them I'll post the site name