1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cargo Carriers - What do you think? Do you have one?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by ChevyFan, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Ok, so I have a thread going on the site about a replacement for the Trailblazer, we're looking at the Cadillac SRX, a 2007 or 2008 model, with a 3rd row seat.

We need a 3rd row seat, but we also need some cargo room on a regular basis (stroller, groceries, etc) and a moderate amount of storage a couple of times per year for trips.

The SRX in those years, with the 3rd row seat, offers very little rear cargo room. That's not the market that it was designed for (familes with young kids), and they dropped the 3rd row option in 2010 and shortened up the SRX at that point as well.

So, we like the ride and drive, all of the features, the high quality level of it ... BUT, we're not sure if we need to step-up to a minivan, a full-size crossover (like the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave) or something else.

Get the SRX with a cargo carrier?
    If we got the SRX, maybe we could make it work with a cargo carrier for trips to the grocery store, short out-of-town trips, etc. What does everyone think? I'm specifically looking for input from people that use cargo carries on a regular basis.

Questions: Do they work well? Are they handy when they are needed? Are they secure? Do they get filled full of junk and stay that way just like my old truck box was?

Input is requested! let us know what you have and how you like it.

59109.jpg Swing-away cargo carriers

Acadia_Roof_Mounted_Cargo_Carrier_med.jpg Thule cargo carrier from the GMC website

Attached Files:

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have two of the Thule soft luggage carriers for the roof rack on the Suburban. There pretty much weather proof, had a little water in the front mounted one after a severe rainstrom while running 70mph on the highway, but thats the only time and it wasn't much. I like them because when were done with them they just fold up and hang on the shop wall.
  3. ChevyFan

How hard are they to get in and out of? I guess I would have to do it all as the wife couldn't get up that high unless we took a step stool along with us, and then we'd have to put it somewhere. :) Glad to know that they're weatherproof, that's a plus for the heavy rainstoms that hit all of a sudden in the south.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The Suburban is lifted 6" and has 35" tires, so its up there. I just opened the side doors and/or stood on the rear tire and had someone hand me the stuff to go in the carrier. You should have no trouble with a non-lifted SUV.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

The carriers that fit in the rear reciever are illegal in some states because depending on the vehicle they block the rear tag and/or tailights.
  5. ChevyFan

Huh, that's good to know. Makes sense regarding both issues, but towing a trailer also covers them as well. taillights are the #1 concern of course.
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Some swingaways have a remote mount for lights and license plate. I like that over the roof mount as it doesn't raise your height, but keep in mind parking with one of those on and if you have the backup assist it won't work with the swingaway mounted. A backup camera might become your best friend in a parking lot.
  7. mad1500hd

mad1500hd New Member

for everyday use, i would think the roof mount may get a little annoying...that swing away looks ideal, but silveradotrailblazer may be right concerning traffic laws...

i had a roof mount on my Suburban...but usually only used during camping season...good luck on your search...
  8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

i've got the cheap Sear's cargo box and it works great on my SUV.
  9. ChevyFan

You keep it on all the time, or just when needed? Photos?
  10. troutbug

troutbug Member

I have a Thule Sidekick which was a carry over from before I got my truck. I still use it now on extended trips. It's good for putting wet stuff in (lifevests, waders & boots, etc.), or anything you don't want in your cab. I only put it up when I need it; it's kind of a PITA (U-bolts), plus I don't need it as much anymore. My old car was small & my daughter's wheelchair would take up the whole trunk, so I'd leave the cargo box on all the time. If you plan on taking it down frequently, I would suggest getting the kind that has the quick- mount type clamps that attaches in seconds, versus the u-bolt mount type. I've got a pic of it on top the truck in my album (along with a kayak & experimental flyrod rack).