Cargo/LED Bed Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Dexter04, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dexter04

Dexter04 New Member

So here's something that annoys me... having to walk all the way back to the cab to switch on my cargo lighting when I'm loading or unloading something at night. Other manufacturers put a switch right at the back for you to use. Why they don't put a sensor on the tailgate is beyond me.

Has anyone ever wired in a bed switch that works with the factory system?

2. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

hmmmm if you could find a wiring schematic and figure out if its switched by the ground side it wouldn't be hard to re wire at all. but it might not be switched that way and you would have to run a new set of wires and wire it the same way a house switch for a stairwell operates so both switchs can operate the same lights. ya I think it would be convenient if there was a switch right there as well.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just leave your door open a little.

Al, the Body Controller switches that light, not as easy as it use to be.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    thegawd likes this.
  4. Dexter04

Dexter04 New Member

Lousy new vehicles... the BCM does everything. I miss the days when I could add a relay or a switch here and there to change things that bother me. I have a background in computer programming and electronics... one day I will get my hands on a spare BCM and figure out how to "tune" it. ;)

thegawd likes this.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, so you add a switch.

The knobs we turn are just user interfaces; you turn a knob, the BCM receives an input signal.

Just parallel the dome/cargo light switch. As long as the BCM receive a "light on" signal, it will turn on the light(s).

thegawd likes this.
  6. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

ahhhh great idea Ray! that should work!

7. RoarinRow

RoarinRow Member

I'm looking at these LED bed lights from Amazon. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I want to. Just need to watch more YouTube videos on how to install.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my 2011 I added led bedlights on my tonneau cover bows and wired them from the battery to a water proof switch mounted under the bedrail next to the tailgate.
    The only thing I'd change is at the time the vendor I bought from only had red lights, should've waited until white lights were available.

RayVoy and thegawd like this.
  9. Dexter04

Dexter04 New Member

Having the lights back there is great... especially with a tonneau cover.

10. RoarinRow

RoarinRow Member

Yup which is exactly why I'd be nice to have. Otherwise, I'll just use a flashlight when I need to.