1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cargo Light

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by ajarman, May 3, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tricia,

If this is just a thread to post up questions about our trucks that maybe you can assit with I have one.

On my '08 Silverado I can not figure out how to turn on the cargo light over the bed without having the interior dome light come on. I had a '07 Classic Silverado and there was a switch near the fog light switch that would turn the cargo light on.

If I am hauling something in the bed at night I like to check on it periodically without pulling over. Am I missing something on this truck where I can just run the cargo light?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I moved this post here, this question is better answered by the community members on the site.
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

From the owner's manual. It appears that the only way to turn on this light is with also turning on the dome light.

The cargo lamps come on by turning the instrument panel brightness control knob to the farthest clockwise position. This knob is located on the instrument panel and also turns on the dome lamps. The cargo lamp can be used if more light is needed in the cargo area of the vehicle or in the top-box storage units. This information can also be found on page 3-23 of your owner’s manual. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  4. ajarman

Thanks Tricia,

Do you know why GM decided to do away with the stand alone cargo light from the NBS to the NNBS? Just courious.
  5. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

Hey Alston, I doubt this is the reason, but driving forward with a rearward facing white light on is illegal in most, if not all states. Driving with your dome lamp on is not usually illegal, although it's not a good idea since it hinders your vision. Maybe GM did this to deter you from doing so inadvertently, but probably it was just cheaper somehow.
  6. ajarman

I must be a selfish person Sal cause I have not even thought about others when I would turn the cargo light on at night going down the road. But if it was not the illegal reason I am sure it was the cost savings reason. It is not like that would make or break me with this NNBS, but just missed it from my classic.
  7. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

I don't use my cargo light much, but when I do it is to check on a load. I recently helped my brother move out of his college house. It was a ton of furniture and stuff crammed into the back of my truck. It was a 100 mile trip down the highway, so I found myself clicking the light on every 20 minutes or so to make sure things weren't shifting around. Anyways, I don't know how involved you want to get to have just the light, but I did come across this write up on adding a switch to turn it on by itself.
  8. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

I don't think it was selfish of you to turn on the light every now and then to check your load. The selfish thing to do would be to not secure your load, and not check it while driving. I see stuff all over the highway that falls out and off of people's vehicles. Hell, I even came up on a couch one night right in the middle of I-10. I don't think you'd get too much grief from a cop just for turning on your cargo light every now and then, just don't leave it on.
  9. ajarman

Awesome! I will look into wiring it up to a toggle.

I did grow up an only child, so just had to check if that was coming out in me or not...hahahaha. I see wreakage from people not strapping in items all the time around here too. Some think they can just put a old entertainment system in the back of a truck with no straps and do 55mph around a sharp bend and all is well. WRONG.