GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Carpet cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by McClintoc, Sep 29, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

So, after 11.5 years, my truck's carpet has various stains in it: dirt, mud, grease, rust, paint. What is a good product to use that will get all that stuff out? Regular, household Resolve? Maybe Oxyclean? I've been suggest this stuff called Folex. Anything else?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

When I bought my truck a year ago it had serious coffee stains, dirt, and the like all over the floor of the extended cab. I used a Bissel Little Green ProHeat cleaner to clean the carpets after I removed all of the seats and the center console (for good measure, to get everywhere). I also used the solution Bissel recommends for it. I spent the bulk of the day with the unit going over every inch of the carpet ... and then let the carpet dry with the doors and windows open that evening and the entirety of the following day -- after which I reinstalled the center console and seats.

Paint and grease might be a tall order for anything short of degreasers ... which I'd worry would fade or even dissolve the carpet.
  3. McClintoc

I hadn't though of something like a steam cleaner. That may be worth looking into.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I use Folex from Lowes Home Improvement and it works great on carpet in the house, but never tried it in the truck. I would test it under the seat in a small area first to make sure it does not change the color of the carpet.

I had my truck shampooed at the local full service car wash before putting my new floor mats in. It had never had the carpet shampooed in 12 years, so I had them do it with their professional steam cleaning machine.
  5. McClintoc

I just got done reading the Folex website. It sounds like some pretty amazing stuff. I am leaving work in about 5 minutes and there is Lowes about 1,000 yards from my office. I'm gonna pick up some Folex on the way home.
  6. Cheez

Cheez Member

I've pulled the carpet out before, hung it on a line and pressure washed it before. That worked well. I'm sure you could add in a soap to help out too.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I use a bissel steam cleaner also. For tough spots I use spot shot and a stiff bristle brush. There was some red coolaid on my carpet when I bought the truck and it came out with the spot shot. You can buy spot shot at home depot
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

On the TV show Trucks they removed the carpet from a project truck and took it to a car wash. They used the pressure nozzle with soap and it did one hell of a job. Of couse that means pulling the interior out and letting the carpet dry for a day or 2 before you reinstall the seats.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Now there's an interesting idea...
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

When I was looking to buy my 05 I went to a few used car dealers. I caught two of them with the carpet removed from vehicles. They were spray painting them black! Guess that is one way to make it look clean.
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Wow, that's messed up...
  12. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I would have to guess that the carpet would be cruchy
  13. McClintoc

I'm not looking to put too much time, effort and money into this. I just have a few spots I'd like to get rid of. I won't be taking out the interior and carpet. If Resolve and Folex don't get them out, then they get to stay. I'll do this on Thursday when I'm off next.
  14. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

using your own steam cleaner is one of the best/easiest ways to go
  15. McClintoc

Today I did phase one of my interior cleaning. I bought some Folex and cleaned the front passenger floor and seat, as well as the entire rear floor and seat. Folex is quite impressive as it either cleaned or faded 10+ years of dirt, mud, cola, dog crap, grease/oil stains. The only thing it didn't do anything to was some red Gatorade stains. I'm going to let all that stuff dry for a week then put my floor mats back in then I'll do phase two which is cleaning my driver's seat and floor and the door panels. I took some "before" pics but I'll wait until next week after everything is done to post some "after" pics.
  16. Kady

Kady New Member

I use tuff stuff when I'm detailing my truck... Tuff Stuff, shop vac and a lil elbow grease works wonders...