Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Casting Number on 7.4

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by clifton, Oct 9, 2009.

1. clifton

clifton New Member

I just recently traded and old Yamaha Dirt bike for a 1991 Chevy 3500HD with a 454-7.4L big block. The casting number is 14015445. I have found a couple of web sites that tell me the different years it was used in. Everything I have read said the engine was only used between 78-90. The production date is 5 of 1990on the truck. I think that would make it a 90 model I guess. What I am really wanting to know is, this the TBI GEN
    -V Peanut port enigne that was made in Tonowa Canada that was plagued with problems. I had an uncle with that motor and was never happy with it. It would get hot and wouldnt pull for a 454. It is TBI which in my opinion is the best fuel injection made.The motor has been rebuilt and the trans replaced, it only has about 38,000 miles on them. It has the Dana 80 rear differential with disc brakes and a 15,000 lb GVW. I drove it home and it got 6.5 miles to the gallon, almost felt violated by the gas I had to buy. I new it was gonna use gas but not like that. Just more of wanting to know about the motor, if it is a good one or that Tonowa engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well as any other info I can get on the truck.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. clifton

clifton New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the link, that tells me the engine is made in U.S. and not in Canada. I was scared it was that peanut port Tanowa Candadian big block.