1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Catalytic Converter in California

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dtricks, May 19, 2010.

1. dtricks

dtricks New Member

Hey guys, I just was told by the mechanic at Firestone Complete Autocare that my Catalytic converter went out, and needs replacement. The part alone is $1,200, and labor is 150. I got a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic, and he said he could make something work for $450, and have parts and labor for a total of $750. Well I don't have that kind of money, and I am pretty good at using a wrench and a sawzall. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I don't want to go to anyone and borrow money, and I for sure do not have that much laying around. Is there any swap I can make, that I can pass emissions, or an aftermarket part I can get?

Thanks for the help
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

even if you buy a cat from magnaflow they have a specific one for california. How many miles do you have on the truck. CA has a state warranty on any emission components for 80k. So if ypu are under 80k the repair is free (ive had a couple cats replaced that way). Most smog places are required to do a visual inspection too so if you rig something up it still may not pass based on that.
  3. dtricks

dtricks New Member

yea I know, thats my dilemma, and im at 100k
  4. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

What year and model truck?

You can find univeral cats for around 100 bucks that say ok for cali but depends on the layout if they would fit.

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  5. dtricks

dtricks New Member

ooops

it's an '07 Silverado Classic (Old Body Style) 1500 Extended Cab
  6. dtricks

dtricks New Member

OK does the cat bolt on or is it welded in? I may be able to get my hands on one, and might be able to do it myself? I have a lift at my work.
  7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

i think they are usually all welded
  9. dtricks

dtricks New Member

10. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I know it is Cali, but I think there is a Federal 5 year waranty on emissions controls, shouldn't that apply to a 2007?

Years ago I had a chev Spectrum [Izuzu I-Mark] w/ a hesitation problem and the dealer replaced the carb's computer control module on GM's tab saying there's 5 years on emissions by Federal mandate...