catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blacknight97, Jan 5, 2011.

1. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey guys, i might sound like an idiot here, but im thinking bout swapping out my exhaust for a custom one, and i was wondering, when you do true duals does that mean the catalytic converter is gone too? do i even need a catalytic converter on my truck? (a 2009 silverado crew cab)
    thanks.

2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

True duals does not eliminate the cats. I would suggest putting in high flow cats if you are doing a custom true dual set up. that's how i did it on my '02. If you are worried about any kind of emission laws then the cats are a must. If you delete the cats you will need to have the take care of the O2 sensor signal so the CEL doesn't stay on. and with no reading from the O2 sensor the computer can not adjust to keep the truck running at its best.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yep X2 on KWGs advice. We have no way of knowing what the smog laws are where you live & in the majority of gov jurisdictions it's illegal for you to remove the cat(s) on your vehicle

4. blacknight97

ok guys thanks!and also, i heard that the shorter the pipes are on the exhaust from the muffler the louder it sounds, is that true?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yep, that's true. It also depends a lot on which muffler(s) you choose or if you leave it off completely. If you think you can skate in your area without getting excessive noise tickets, & you want it loud, take the muffler(s) off & just run it with the cats.

6. blacknight97

thanks alot!