1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Catalytic Converters

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 95C1500, Aug 17, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just had my Cat replaced with a Magnaflow (not a high flow cat). I'm currently getting 12.5 mpg. Would a new cat (old needed replacing, honeycomb was in the muffler) up my mpg's?

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Did your MPG go up?

3. 95C1500

just filled up yesterday. Just asking to see.

4. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

The catalytic converter in a vehicle’s engine plays a crucial role in maintaining its efficiency. Essentially, the converter’s function is to burn off excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust system, which makes the engine run clean.If your car’s catalytic converter might have a problem, checked it as soon as possible.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You might see an increase, it really depends on how bad your old cat was.

6. 95C1500

Chunks of the honeycomb fell out of the muffler.... pretty bad imo lol!

7. tbplus10

Your truck doesnt have an after cat sensor if I remember correctly, so the only possibility is if it increases the backpressure slightly and improves low rpm torque. If it does improve you wont see much.
    Thats real low mileage, from the picture it doesnt look like you have real big tires, and Im guessing you dont haul trailets or huge loads all the time.
    Do you have a heavy right foot?

8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

No, however, there's a pretty good chance that you have a leaking fuel pressure regulator which contributed to the early failure of the cat.

You have the 5.7, right? Fixing a leaking fuel pressure regulator will improve the MPG, by a lot. They leak into the intake manifold where you can't see it, then the truck runs rich and burns up the cat.

9. tbplus10

Thats along the lines of what I was thinking Jamm3r, something more than the cat causing low mpg, and as you noted causing an earl and for a cat what could be considered a catastrophic failure. A rich condition would do this.
    It would be interesting to know if prior to the cat burning out it had gotten hot enough to glow.
    I had an early 90's k3500 dually that looked like it had neon lights under it from a rich condition, after a few mile it would glow enough to reflect off the pavement. I didnt catch on until after the third person commented I had left my neon lights under the truck on, it was also giving me clues like poor mpg and heavy fuel smell in the engine oil.

10. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

My brother-in-laws 1996 Chevy 1500 2wd with the 5.7L Vortec gets around 18 mpg or so...he also has a heavy foot