cats gone

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by catmechanic07, Jun 18, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Former Member

I have looked on the internet and found different videos of the sound. Just wondering if anyone has cut their cats off and thought it was too loud. We have a few prick cops around here so they love noise ordinance tickets. I have Flowmaster 44's, 3" pipes, exiting 5" tips.

Would no cats be too loud or not??
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I wouldn't do it. But my buddy is running no cat to a Flowmaster (IDK what series but its a short muffler) and its not very loud below 2500. I'd just rather have the cats on my truck.
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The fine is pretty hefty if caught with out cats
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Depends on where you are. Some states have no requirements. They're usually quite rural...
  5. Coach24

I thought it vwas a federal law. At least when a shop takes them off
  6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

It is. A shop can't legally remove them in all 50 states according to my exhaust shop.
  7. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Former Member

I dont know about that. All it is, is for emissions .....right???? I can cut them out at work. I may cut them out and split them. Weld them back together and make it look like they arre real. I like the deep rumble when they are gone but hate tickets more!!!
  8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

YOU can personally do whatever you want to them. A SHOP can not legally do it.
  9. Coach24

I know in Utah you fail your inspection if they aren't there. So I guess there is some leway between the state lines.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I lived in KS there was no state inspection. The only inspection you had to get was a VIN check when bringing a vehicle into state because you moved there; they'd run it to make sure it wasn't stolen. Beyond that, no emissions checks, no annual inspection of any kind, nada. Old school. It's one of the few things I liked about KS.