cats gone

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by catmechanic07, Jun 18, 2012.

1. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

Depends on where you live in Utah, Cache county has no emissions checking.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The one thing to watch are local noise ordinances. While you may be emissions-legal, you might be noise-illegal. That one's a nasty one, too, because noise ordinances are irrespective of the cause -- i.e. not tied to your vehicle, at all. Roll up on an unmarked while traveling somewhere and you might find yourself with a noise ticket just because the guy was cranky. It's something to consider.

Most folks who want to ditch the cats will simply install dumpers (basically a manual or electonically controlled Y-valve) before the cats ... so they can be quiet when needed but straight-pipe when they like.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

with the setup u have catmechanic i think you will be to loud. a cutout would do what you want tho.

Alex

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

yup, forgot the rural areas don't have to pass emissions, yet.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dumper == Cutout
    (for the lay people)

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

yeah what he ^^^ said.

Alex

7. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Former Member

I started my truck when the exhaust was cut off directly behind the cats. Wasnt as loud as it is with the Flowmaster on it. I know.....seems impossible but its true.

I also had a Thrush muffler with a turn down on it and it was terrible for "droning". I dont think Id try a cut-out

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012