1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cause of knock sensore?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hardwickn, Dec 28, 2010.

1. hardwickn

hardwickn Rockstar

im getting a reado out code for my knock sendor's what would cause this. and is there a cure for this. i know i have to change them. but if i change them what the likely hood of them just going off again?
  2. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman Rockstar 100 Posts

If I understand correctly... your knock sensor is a microphone that resides at the bottom of the engine block, submerged in coolant. It listens for abnormal sounds and tells your timing to retard when it hears something that doesn't sound right. It could be something going on with your engine, but it can also be nothing, as the microphone cannot determine nature of weird sound.

I had an intermittent knock sensor code on my burb, but then suddenly stopped. When I crawled under to look, I discovered the connector was unplugged and shredded up. You may want to take a peek under and check that the connection is plugged in securely to sensor. It's probably not the issue in your case, but easy enough to check and rule out.
  3. hardwickn

hardwickn Rockstar

in the 5.3 my knock sensore is under the intak manifold.
  4. garth stuart

garth stuart New Member

They are under the intake and they are NOT threaded into coolant holes. The intake isn't that hard to change.