1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CB Help needed

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Camaro69car, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have a Cobra 19 Ultra 2, along with a magnetic mount Antenna (not sure on brand). and I cannot get signal unless I park near power lines or something with tons of juice running through it. It's a 4ft antenna and i've checked all my connections. I'm just at my wits end trying to figure out why I cannot get more than 1-2 bars of signal.

I'm thinking I need to get rid of this $20 antenna and upgrade to a K40 or something.

Reason I need this CB, Radar detectors are illegal in VA, So... I just listen to the truckers and let them tell me where the bacon is.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If all of the connections are good and there are no problems with any of the pieces, the problem is most likely an antenna matching problem. Your radio needs to be tuned.

Try this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Peak-and-Tune-a-CB-Radio
  3. Camaro69car

a lot of those adjustments are not on my CB. However, I guess I will need to invest in an SQL meter, and take a trip out to the country. because I don't think a mall parking lot will do.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Using an SWR meter to tune your antenna will make a lot of difference.
    If you follow those proceedures you should have a notable difference.
    Also as pointed out ensure both the radio and antenna are properly grounded, and make sure you choose the best "ground plain" for your antenna. Normally on a vehicle the best place for an antenna is the center of the roof where it has the best "view" of its surroundings. Normally when an antenna is placed on the rear bumper or one side of the vehicle it becomes somewhat blocked.
    Due to the relatively low input/output of a CB, max 4 watts, unless illegally, or maybe accidently amped higher, they normally dont do much better than whats considered line of site, roughly 5 miles. Better results can be gained if sitting on top of a hill or mountain.
  5. Camaro69car

Ordered SWR meter from the shack. waiting for it to come in.