Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

CB Radio help

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, May 11, 2013.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I want to install a CB radio in my truck. I don't need it to have a long range since it is mostly for trips to the beach. To be able to communicate with the other trucks in the group. I don't want a big whip or anything like that so I found this. http://www.bikemp3.com/Sierra-AM-FM-Antenna-Splitter-HGW-SIE-T268.htm What are the pro's/con's of using this?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For what your planned use is it should work ok, most of your communication should be within a few miles at most.
    I used a model like that on my 94 Toyota, it did fine.
    They have limited distance but then most cb's dont reach out far anyways.
    One problem with that set-up is you lose the ability to tune the antennae for optimum performance.

3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Most CBs won't operate outside of a few miles anyway unless you use an amplifier (which is illegal on the CB bands). So most antenna setups will work. However, to be able to tune for SWR would make a difference in how clear your transmissions are at the higher ends of your range. I deal primarily with the amateur radio bands as opposed to CBs (I do maintain one for local stuff) so my knowledge on specific antenna setups for CBs is iffy at best. I do miss the setup I had in my Dakota though. It was rather nice.