1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CD player getting hot.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Pyro81, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Pyro81

Pyro81 Rockstar

I've got a 2004 Silverado with a stock radio/cd/tape deck. I've always had problems with it getting hot when playing cd's for long periods of time (2+ hours) and then the cd will start to skip or stop playing for a couple seconds. Today i went into town (about 5 miles) to get some KFC and on my way back my cd started to cut in and out. Usually i can combat this by turning the A/C on or sometimes just turning the fan on helps.

What i was wondering is if this is something that is common or not. I'm not really too worried about it but i'm curious to know.
  2. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

I have an 04 with an aftermarket head unit/DVD player. Listened to CD's on a 3 hour trip to chicago. Actually got so hot that it fried the head unit. Wouldn't play CD's or DVD's. Luckily it was within the first year of purchase, and I was able to get a new head unit...
  3. Pyro81

Pyro81 Rockstar

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the dash holds heat in no matter what radio you have in there. I'll have to keep that in mind if i ever get an aftermarket head unit. If i do i might install a fan inside the pocket if there is room for one.
  4. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

There might, as stress might, be space in the pocket, but it would likely have to be off the back somewhere...

Its pretty cramped in there.
  5. Pyro81

Pyro81 Rockstar

Wouldn't have to be a big fan. And if i have to i'll mount it somewhere else and duct the airflow to the radio.
  6. TylerR04

TylerR04 Rockstar

This is a common occurrence with any CD player. You have a piece of electrical equipment that produces a little bit of heat from the lights and everything else in it and shove it into a tiny hole that has no air running through it. With an aftermarket CD player you have to buy a new dash kit and with my experience with them there is a little tray underneath or above the new CD player. You could drill some holes in it to give it a little room to breath. I don't think you would have enough room even to put a little fan in the back.