1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Center console Latch replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Drake_korthos, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hello folks,

During a recent trip to Seattle, WA the latch on the center console of my truck snapped off. I went to my local dealer to inquire about ordering the replacement part, but the employee told me that I'd have to order the whole upper lid component just to get the latch. The upper lid costs around $185. The employee and multiple sales people (that I chatted with on the way back to my truck) had suggested just contacting a wreaking yard about acquiring the needed piece. My issue with that is the parts employee told me that this issue, sadly, is a common problem for these trucks. If that is the case, why won't GM just authorize the sale of the one needed piece?

Back to my question: does anybody have alternative suggestions about how to acquire JUST the latch? If I have to resort to a wreaking yard, I'm just going to replace the whole center jump seat assembly for a center console set up. I'd rather just spend a few bucks for a latch though! Thanks again for your time!
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you and the bad news is, there just doesn't seem to be any parts for center consoles. It's basically the whole thing or nothing. I cracked the original lid of my center concosle and I looked for over a year for just the lid. I eventually found the tub - not the entire center console structure but just the tub insert with the lid and that was the best I could do. Shorty after that, the latch in the lid fell out and now it stays open and flops around while I drive. I need just the latch as well but there doesn't seem to be any.
  3. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hmmm, well hopefully we can dig up some more info on this site from a friendly GM buddy! I've also contacted GMC about this issue as well, I'm HOPING they'll have some better suggestions for me than to either hit up a wreaking yard or bite the bullet on a $185 upper lid assembly! :grrrrrr:

Been lookin into replacing the whole seat with a center console anyways, if I HAVE to hit up a junk yard I'm just gonna look to replace the whole darn unit!
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I got my tub off ebay. Have you looked there?