Center console removal ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by JTward1, Oct 1, 2016.

1. JTward1

JTward1 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I haven't done this before, what do I need or go about removing the center console ? I started to repaint the lid, but now It looks I really need to do both before the cold weather sets in. Are the bolts fused to the floor or do they just sit there ? Thank you ! 1988 K5 Blazer interior color 003.JPG

2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On my 76 there were 4 bolts I think. Just remove them and it comes right out. I think there are nutcerts in the floor similar to the ones for the seats.

Ted

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

One of the modern mmarvels of the 20th century!!!!

4. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yup there are just 4 bolts. When you put it back in just remember that a good snug is all they need, those are generally stamped into the floor pan (I personally have done thousands of them for Deere combines and tractors) and they are 40 ft lbs for them, can't imagine them being any higher on the K5. Crank on them and they will snap off.

5. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was always gonna add a drain and and use it as a cooler but never did.

Ted

6. JTward1

JTward1 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

SANY0393.JPG Well mine had a lot of cracks in the plastic where the lid attached and the consoles mounting points, so all I did was to work on the base and I used Gorilla super glue and that work OK, but I went back and drilled a few extra support holes and J&b weld epoxy and did them and the lids holes. Once done I spray painted them and as far as I'm concerned it looks better than new, so that is a good $100.00 + dollars I'm not paying someone else for their headache.