1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Center support bearing symptoms when bad

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jaceracer, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Hey guys I have an 03 chevy 2wd and I have noticed a clunk slash shudder when taking off from a dead stop and also a clunk when coming to a stop. I was wondering if this could be the center support bearing? I did get underneath and greased the slip yoke zerk and looked at the
    bearing, should I be able to move the shaft or should there be play up and down and all around when hooked up? some advice would be nice
    thanks
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

In general, when it comes to drive shafts, if the noise or vibration changes under load it is the U-joint and if the noise/vibration changes with speed it can be blamed on ballance. There should be no noticable play in the bearing and it should also be held firmly in place by the mount and isolation rubber. My money would be on the U-joints being bad.
  3. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Even though i can move the bearing inside the rubber?? i wonder if its multiable problems like center support and u joints???
  4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If you can move it with only your hand then I would consider it bad. Also most certainly could be a combination of carrier bearing and U-joints. I just recently changed the U-joints in my Yukon and though it is well within the realm of DIY, it is a struggle without the proper size press. Others have removed the drive shaft, purchased U-joints, and then taken it to a shop to have them changed. Some shops may insist on providing the parts as they make some profit on parts mark up and issues with a warranty on a part they didn't choose.