Ceramic Coated Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Pacesetter long tube headers normal high temperature painted are $375, and the Ceramic coated headers are $525.

My question is, are ceramic coated headers worth the money? All i know about them, from having ceramic coated pipe, can, and manifold on my sled, is that they don't rust. They look "pretty" for a long time. Is that the only thing?

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

From my LIMITED experience, I'd say that if you plan on keeping the truck for a good while go for the "coated".

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

They also help with heat dispersion and help to keep it out of the engine bay and moving out the back where it belongs.. And yes they last longer depending on where you live.. Here in MN they rust out in 5-8 years no matter what.

4. ippielb

Well, i live in Canada, so hearing that they rust out in salt, which is used a LOT on our roads, i might as well save some money and buy the painted. Is there a way i can prevent the headers from rusting fast? With a coating? Heat tape?

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

the coating will help.. It does last longer.. Usually the quality of the header effects speed of rusting.
    Oh and i noticed that you have a lift so actually if you wash them occasionally to get the salt off of them that will help. That is what causes them to rust of so fast here. I cant get underneath to wash anything off during the winter...

6. ippielb

Ordered the normal headers, didn't see it being that worth it if they're just going to rust in the long run.

7. 1morepart

1morepart Member

good choice......rinse them off, that does help in the "salty" areas of the union

8. ippielb

They should be in this Friday, or next Monday, hopefully this Friday, so i can install this weekend. Total price is going to be $375 for the headers, and then $60 for the freight, and then 10% taxes. $478.50 around that.