1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Change of scenery

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Mean_Green_95, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Today was my last day at Goodyear. No more working on people's cars for a living! I've been wanting to get out of this profession for so long now. Monday I'm starting my new job at Marathon Oil Refinery. I can't wait. Any of you guys ever got to change your professions from one to another for the better?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When I first retired from the military I didnt think I was changing for a better career but in the years since I've come to realize it was a change for the better.
    If I could give you any advice dont try to compare your previous experience to your new career, its a totally different world and your new employers want you to learn the job their way and on their terms.
    Good luck keep your eyes and ears open and be receptive to everything they teach you even if it wasnt how you used to do things, remember your on their territory now.

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2. Good luck with the new career. Keep learning and you will always move on to better things.

4. Foxracer

Foxracer Member

goodjob leaving goodyear.. i worked for them for 3 years here in fort worth.. and didnt make ****, had diesel ase's state inspec license and only made 15.64.. and goodyear tech pay flag rate sucks and all the free **** they make you do use to piss me off everyday...

Goodluck on your new job

5. Mean_Green_95

Thanks Tim. I'll definitely keep your words in mind. I've been trying to get into this industry for 2 years now, so I'm not going to do anything to mess up my opportunities.

I know what you mean. The new tech is complaining every two minutes about all the free diagnostics and half priced diagnostics all the time. On top of that the service manager pays other people for the tech's work all the time. I'm super glad to be out of that place.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Congrats on the new job..... Need a Classs B driver?

7. Mean_Green_95

Thanks, and no. I just had to get a TWIC card. For some reason I don't need an OSHA card, or at least not yet.

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

congrats on the move, I always love staring a new job. So much to learn, new stuff coming at you every day, good times.

9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Good luck with your new job!

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What are you going to be doing at the refinery?