1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Change Oil Light Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by adam.hafner, Sep 26, 2013.

1. adam.hafner

adam.hafner New Member

I changed my oil about 1k miles ago and then all of a sudden the "Change Oil" light started coming on for maybe 10 seconds right away when I start the engine and then it goes away. It will periodically turn on and off again when I am driving as well, but never stay on for more than 10 seconds or so. I checked the oil level and there is plenty of oil. The oil pressure gauge is also not out of normal operating range. I am not sure what would cause this or how to resolve it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--Adam

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, this is on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ 5.3L and auto trans.

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Turn key on, tap gas pedal to floor a few times (forgot how many), turn key off, then turn key back on and it should flash then go away.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the change oil light has nothing to do with the oil level/quality/or pressure/temperature. this is a computer generated light that comes on based on miles driven and the environment of the operating of the vehicle.

this light will come on with MY VEHICLES about every 5,000 miles or so.

reset the oil change monitor at every oil change.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

three times

5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Thanks [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION]