change oil light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lindsaynuts8, Oct 5, 2012.

1. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 Member

i have a message center in my truck that reads change engine oil which i did but cant figure out how to get this notification off. i do not have my manuel so i was wondering if u guys could tell me how to do this? thanks :)

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Turn the key to the run position but do not start the engine. Slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor and release 3 times. Your message center will indicate the oil life monitor has been reset.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on what [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION] said. But, I think that it has to pressed 3 times within 5 seconds.

4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

You're right, it is 3 times within 5 seconds.

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, that is the case. I didn't think about that... I am just used to doing it now. LOL!

6. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 Member

ok ill try it. so does it take time for it to turn off or it just does automatically?

7. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

if you have buttons on the steering wheel i believe it can be reset this way aswell, as my change oil light is on aswell im gonna run out n see if i can get it to go out.

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

ignition on throttle pedal to the floor 3X in 5 sec. then the light will flash and its reset.

10 sec. total time.

9. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 Member

thankks guys :) it worked

10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Not sure if it does it to anybody elses truck, but mine will tell me that the oil life has been reset upon start up for several start ups, post reset. It has done it since about the 5th oil change I've done. Not a big deal because it does eventually go away.

Also, don't rely on that "Change Engine Oil" to change the oil. 3-5,000 miles is recommended. I let my truck go all the way to the next time that prompt came up once, and it was about 8,000 miles after I changed it the last time.