Change Oil reminder (Oil Life Monitor)

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by nbturbo, Oct 6, 2010.

1. nbturbo

nbturbo New Member

I have recently purchased an 03 2500 silverado, 2WD. The change oil message came up on the instrument cluster message system, so I changed the oil and filter. How do I reset the timer because the message keeps coming up. My manual shows two buttons on the the steering column that toggle between the functions, but mine doesn't have that. I have a push button on the dash display, that toggles between mileage, business, personal, etc, but doesn't seem to allow me to reset the change oil message. The manual says something like use pushbutton to reset if applicable....
    Whats the trick? thanks
    dale

2. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If you have an owners manual, it explains how to do it in there. However, all you have to do is turn the key to "ON" (do not start the truck) and press on the gas three times in less than 5 seconds, and it should pop up saying "Oil Life Reset".

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Try turning the key to start, but don't start the truck, then quickly depress the gas pedal five times. This is how its done on my '05 Z-71, don't know if its the same for your truck but try it.

4. nbturbo

nbturbo New Member

thanks guys, the manual doesn't mention anything like that, I will try it tonite. Great forum!

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ive always done it by turning it to start/on (but dont start the engine) pump the gas pedal 5 times quickly turn off then start the engine. should say oil life reset.

6. nbturbo

nbturbo New Member

Worked perfectly, thanks everyone
    d

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Your welcome.

8. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

It doesn't say in your manual so you have to take it into the dealer to service. I was suprised to see that the tire pressure monitor sensor re-calibration instructions were in the manual though!

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are you talking about....How to re-set the Oil Change Message and not being in the Manual and having taking into the dealer to service??

10. pacecar68

pacecar68 New Member

yes, that's how it is done in my truck (2003 chevy silverado 2500hd 4x4)