GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Change out all the locks!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by promod, May 26, 2010.

1. promod

promod New Member

Here's the scenario....someone has a set of keys and key fob for my truck that I cannot get back and I want to prevent them from tampering with my truck.

02' 3500 LS DRW

I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion on changing out the door locks and ignition switch. I would also like to know if there is a way to re-program my key fob to a new one so theirs will not work.

What would you do...and getting the key/fob back isn't an option. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I do have a subscription to ALLDATADIY for reference.

Thanks for any help on this.
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

You should be able reset the remote door locks probably my just going through the programming procedure.
    Checkout http://www.programyourremote.com/

Locks just go see a lock smith and they can change the wafers around and cut you a new key its not cheap though.
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. promod

promod New Member

Thanks Dr_Zero!

What I don't understand is how the keyless entry works in a full circle of re-programming.

If I re-program my remote with the programming instructions you provided, will the other remote no longer function? I wasn't sure if the body control module was unique and every time you program a remote it will use the same code/frequency or does it change the code/frequency each time you go through the programming?

Thanks again!
  4. promod

promod New Member

I think I found my answer....so...this will cancel out any previously programmed remotes.

All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

You got it!

When I got my truck I had no remotes so I got one off of ebay then when it worked out I got another and had to reprogram the system for both just couldnt add another.
    So if you go into the program mode the system will forget all the remotes except the ones you basically log back into system.
  6. wis bang

wis bang New Member

You still need to change the locks since the missing key would otherwise still open the door and it's VATS chip would still be recognized...Durn VATS keys are pricy unless you just get new door locks and carry two keys incase your fob battery fails...
  7. promod

promod New Member

I am considering two options on the locks/ignition.

Option 1

Have the dealer do the following:

Ignition:$ 62.70
    Keys: $19.00 x 2 = $38.00
    Door Locks: $74.13 x 2 = $144.26
    Labor: $396.00
    ----------------------------
    Total: $640.00

Option 2

Since I don't believe the door locks need to be replaced, only re-keyed, I was thinking that maybe a locksmith could do this with the door locks and ignition.

Any suggestions? I haven't had a lot of experience with locksmiths. I can do the key fob programming.

Thanks!
  8. wis bang

wis bang New Member

Call a locksmith, I had the ignition key stick in my wife's Geo Prism at the local mall and the local 'mobile' locksmith was able to get the key to move, pull the tumbler and re-build it in his van for a reasonable price...
  9. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

promod seems nice enough...

Let's all get together and retrieve the wayward set of keys for the price of pizza and pops...
  10. promod

promod New Member

:lol:

Called the locksmith today.. $300 to re-key both doors and ignition including replacement keys. That's a lot cheaper than the alternative of $600+

Thanks!
  11. wis bang

wis bang New Member

Considering Home Cheapo gets over $60.00 for a VATS key, I think you got a good deal!
  12. promod

promod New Member

Don't have a VATS on mine.
  13. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

I had to replace my ignition switch about a month back wife jammed it in the run position and could not shut it off :gasp:

I went the cheap route and got a new igntion cylinder for $18 from advance auto and have 2 keys now on for the door other for the ignition.

I just checked rockauto.com and they have a pair of new locks for the door for like $30 if you want to give that a shot.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...7&parttype=10007&a=FRc1399507k1319890-3323658
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  14. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

that sounds like a plan :party: