1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Change rear axle

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 2wheelmudder, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

What all would be involved in getting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton axle instead of 1/2 on a 95 chevy c1500 2wd truck? i run a 3:73 gear ratio on the 4L6E
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Since the 3/4 and 1 ton axles use bigger brakes you'll need to change out the brake bias valve, I'd use an adjustable one like Summit sells. You can get away with retaining your master cylinder but at some point I'd recommend upgrading to a larger one.
    The shock mounts will need to be adjusted, possibly cut off and rewelded at a better angle.
    The spring plates are designed for a wider/thicker set of springs, so if your keeping the stock springs you need to adjust for the difference, If your putting on the heavier springs you need to weld in the bigger spring mounts on the frame.
    The driveshaft will need to be modified to accept a different size U-joint (Spicer recently released a new line of joints that act as adaptors check them out for your application).
    E-brake should be close to a bolt on affair.

Keep in mind if your doing this to increase the tow or load rating of your truck this wont suffice, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have heavier frames, engine/trans mounts, and numerous other pieces. If the idea is to make your 1/2 ton into a 3/4 or better you'd be best off selling and buying the truck you want/need.
  3. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

im just gonna follow tbplus around today, and post "I AGREE" everywhere because he is taking the words out of my mouth.

You also have to remember pinion angle will change as well, and that will affect a lot of banging and grinding going on.

if you just want a little more payload, go with an adda a leaf, or a 1ton spring pack, or even airbags... but to change out the rear end like that is going to ring havoc on a lot of stuff... its a big can of worms.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can find 14 bolt rearends on half tons sometimes. You get the bigger ring gear and stronger differential. Then you wouldn't have to get 8 lug wheels.