1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changed rear end now brakes won't go on

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by pontiacGTP123, Mar 16, 2014.

1. pontiacGTP123

pontiacGTP123 New Member

Got a 02 gmc Sierra 1500 with the 4.8. The truck had 3.42 with no limited slip. I just put a g80 gt4 (limited slip, 373) in it. Both rear ends are disc brake. I have the vin for the truck it came out of and it shows it was a 4.8 ext 2002 chevy 4x4. I got new rotors and pads for it and went to put them on and the caliper bracket fits perfect but the caliper itself won't go on. I compressed the piston all the way in and everything but it will not go back on at all. I got the 325mm rotors and I called the parts store and gave them the info of the truck the rear end came out of and the part a numbers are the same as my truck for the caliper, bracket, and pads and rotors. I have no clue why they won't go on. My caliper is single piston. Any ideas?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

we just had another post about this. It is hard to do as swap like this because there are 2 different sized rotors for some of these trucks. I think one is a 330mm and one is a 325. The best thing to do is match up the existing rotors with the new ones. I have made countless trips to the parts store because of the different sizes. I find it best to just match the old ones.
  3. dpeter

dpeter Member

I recently replaced front caliper and bracket on 2000 Yukon. Found out not only is there a left and right caliper but ALSO left and right bracket. Can't mix left and right parts. May also be the case for the rear as well. If the brackets have been removed, check for correct hand. Remember, bleeders are on top of calipers.
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member

Did you get the brake calipers that were with the replacement rear end assy?