1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changed them all!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by krp2nite, Feb 10, 2012.

1. krp2nite

krp2nite New Member

Truck reached 50,000 so I figured might as well start draining fluids and check things out. I drained and refilled Rear & Front Diff, Transfer Case, Power steering fluid, Brake Fluid, Dropped Tranny pan put new filter in and flushed ATF through cooler lines. Although I know the material is considered normal gathered on the magnets at all these locations--I was shocked by the amount collected on the front diff, transmission, and transfer case (no big pieces just ALOT of "normal" fine particles. Makes me kinda wish I had done it alittle earlier. I ordered a Magnefine Filter to install in the transmission cooler line to catch some of this between changes.
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I'm sure getting it all done will lead to a better running machine ....great idea to do it at the 50K mark too.
    Brian from Canada:great:
  3. krp2nite

krp2nite New Member

I hope so..I have run synthetic in the engine since I bought it...and I kinda wanted to swith everything else over to synthetic too. So,, 50k seemed like a good time to make the switch.
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Doesn't the General recommend changing those fluids at like 30k? Not questioning you, just asking for my own education. I know they err on the side of caution though.
  5. krp2nite

krp2nite New Member

I am not sure on the differentials / transfer case--but the dealer said no tranny till 100k......I put synthetic in everything now--so I'll just do them all every 50,000....I will say that at least for the first one I do wish I would have done them earlier--maybe even before 30k--just because of the amount of "normal" metal material
  6. oliveskate

oliveskate New Member

I would do tranny services every 50000 personally. Not like it hurts your transmission. (Well if you don't do it correctly, yes)
  7. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not the original owner and so I'm not sure of the care prior to my owning the truck, but I have changed all of my fluids as well. I plan to change the transmission fluid every 50,000 now, as well as the transfer case. I'm doing an experiment with the differentials. Not something many people would want to experiment on, I know, but I want to. I added Amsoil Severe gear 75W-90 http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx in the front and rear diffs. I've heard wonderful things about all oils made by Amsoil so I'm going to leave it in well past 100,000 miles just to see what it looks like when I finally do change it. Will post pics when I do eventually do it in a few years and hopefully the information will be helpful to others in some way.

I have a feeling it will be fine, based on what I've heard about this stuff. I use 4x4 in the winter more than summer, but I try to use the 4x4 in the summer at least twice a month to keep things in use.
  8. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

I just ordered Amsoil for my truck as well. My dad and I run Amsoil in everything we own, all vehicles, dirtbikes, quads, tractors, and lawn mowers. I just ordered the diff fluid for my truck as well, but held off on the transmission because i've never dropped the pan before. The only way I've ever done a tranny flush is with the automatic machine. Can anybody offer any insight as to how I can go about swithing out the tranny fluid?
  9. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure about the 2010 models. I'm assuming that's the one you're referring to? On my 2004 it is a pain in the a$$! The pan doesn't just drop straight down after you unbolt it so you have to try and shimmy the pan full of fluid around the exhaust and the cable for the shift linkage (which needs to be removed from it's bracket). Not fun. However, on the 2010 models you might have a drain plug? If so then you're laughing. Just open the drain plug and let all the fluid run out. Then take the pan off and replace the filter, pop it back on and fill (make sure drain plug is back in). If you just have a pan, then unbolt the pan (usually 16 bolts), dump it into a container of some kind once you manage to actually get it down, then replace the filter and pop the pan back on, and fill.

If you want to do a flush, I've heard the best way is to disconnect the return cooler line and pour some new fluid in, start the vehicle and let it run until all the fluid drains out of the disconnected line. I'm not sure of the EXACT procedure so someone else will have to help you with that part. Hope this helps.
  10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know, bumping an old thread... I'm about to have the fluids changed in the truck and yes, GM does recommend changing the diffs every 30k, but even the guy I spoke with said that's a conservative recommendation.