Changes in '95 thru '99 Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Jimzu, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jimzu

Jimzu New Member

I am curious to know if there were significant changes in the 1990's Suburban? Meaningful changes bumper to bumper? Good changes? Bad changes? I'm shopping for a burban, leaning toward a '99 but wondering if I should consider other 90-something vehicles. Any data would help with my decision-making.

Thanks,
    Jimzu

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

95 was TBI, 96 and up was Vortec. Both run fine. The TBI is simpler to troubleshoot, but the Vortec has more power. Either way, Subs are great vehicles. I wanted a Sub, but my friend brought a Tahoe back from auction. Really wish I had said no. They run forever, 200k is very common.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

'98 was the first year for the Autotrac NV246 tcase (whether that's good or not is open for debate). Before that was a standard part-time 4wd tcase (243 I think).

'95 4L60E (1500 transmission) is somewhat unique, and isn't plug and play swappable with other years. Not necessarily a significant change, unless you decide to replace a bad transmission with something from a junkyard.

Out of curiosity, are you looking for a 1500 or 2500? Drivetrain in the 2500 is generally considered stronger than in the 1500.

4. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts