Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

changing engine oil & filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by homey hall, Oct 22, 2012.

1. homey hall

homey hall New Member

Hey guys new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone has some help to replace the oil filter without getting oil all over the place. The oil runs down the filter and my arm, makes a mess and there has to be a better way. thanks for any help.

2. steved

steved Former Member

Although there isn't much room on my 6.0L, one trick I used on my former truck (a 5.9L Cummins) was to place a quart freezer bag over the filter...most of the oil would run into the bag as the filter was loosened.

3. I like that idea.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

One trick I have heard used by people is to loosen the oil filter, then poke a hole in it with say a nail or something. This of coursecan be bad if you drive the nail too far up into the filter and hit something. I don't recomment this at all.

In theory this would allow the oil to drain out of the filter, then you take it off.

I simply loosen the filter and let it drain before removing it. It's a little messy, but nothing too bad.

5. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I poke a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter. One in the center, one to the side, near the edge. Then I loosen it so the oil will drain out faster. And get some rubber or latex gloves from the hardware or auto parts store.

6. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

That's what shop rags are for, just wipe the worst of it off before you pop the top on the bud light

7. sodbuster

sodbuster New Member

Ditto on poking a hole in the bottom of the filter, just let it drain till it's done dripping. I also installed a Fumoto (sp) valve in place of my drain plug, makes changing the oil "almost" pleasant.

8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I would suggest loosening the filter slightly first just to make sure you can get it off.

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just break the filter loose and loosen it a few turns. I have my drain pan underneath before loosening it. If you do it fast enough, you have time to get your hand out before the oil starts to bleed out. Then, I grab the filter with a paper shop towel and take it the rest of the way off and turn it upside down in the drain pan.

I then take that shop towel and wipe the threads and sealing surface to make sure there isn't any crud left behind. I get all of that done in less time than it takes to poke holes in the filter housing and wait around for it to drain.

'Ya get a little dirty, but that's half of the fun of working on your own stuff! ;)

10. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

This...^ exactly what I do.