1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

changing engine oil & filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by homey hall, Oct 22, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x3 on that

2. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I will continue the trend and say x4 on what ^^^ they said! But they bag idea is good too

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I thought the bag idea was cool too but if'n ya don't want to get your dress dirty then maybe you shouldn't be a-changin' your own oil! ROFLMAO!:rofl:

4. steved

steved Former Member

Changing the nice clean oil in a gasser is freaking lovely compared to changing the black nasty stuff that drains after 20k miles from a Cummins...trust me, you learn to wear gloves, and use any trick you can to keep that stuff off you. :neutral:

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know what all the fuss is about :)

I open the oil cap on the top of the engine to there is no vacuum keeping the oil from flowing out fast when I pull the drain plug out. It all comes out in a nice black stream.

Then I always use the K & N oil filters (not because they are "better") but because they are the only oil filter with a 1" socket head where I can use my ratchet to loosen the old one off and then tighten the new one on.

It makes it so easy and fast..... I hate all the "traditional" filter removal tools when the socket just makes common sense. And sockets are universal..... no special tools required.

6. barney

barney New Member

oil change.jpg Use a clear plastic fast food cup, break the filter loose then slip the cup over the filter. The cup will compress when squeezed and you can unscrew the filter...the oil runs into the cup and because it is clear you can see the level. Cups are good for about 4 months before they get brittle and crack.